Dance Multi-Year Operating
Mid-Cycle Report Deadline: April 2, 2018.
Next Full Application deadline: March 11, 2019
For questions about this program, contact Catalina Fellay-Dunbar, Dance Officer.
Toronto Arts Council provides funding support to outstanding artists and arts organizations that contribute to the cultural life of the City of Toronto. TAC is committed to artistic excellence, innovation, and accessibility, and supports a wide spectrum of artistic endeavour and a range of activity that makes the City of Toronto one of the leading cultural centres in Canada. Through its support, TAC cultivates a richer engagement between artists and audiences and reflects the City of Toronto through the diversity of artists, arts communities and audiences that it serves.
The Dance Program provides Multi-Year Operating support to professional1 non-profit dance organizations engaged in the creation, production, presentation and preservation of dance, and other activities that contribute to the development of dance, dance artists, and dance audiences in Toronto. The program aims to encourage long-term vision and planning and to provide stability for dance organizations. Funding through this program supports both operations and programming. The City of Toronto provides the funding for this program through its Community Partnership and Investment Program.
To be eligible for Multi-Year Operating funding, an applicant must:
- be non-profit.
- be located in the City of Toronto and have a significant portion of its activities occurring within the City.
- have been in operation for at least four years.
- have received Annual Operating funding through TAC’s Dance program for at least the two past years.
- have a demonstrated record of regular, ongoing programming.
- have professional artistic leadership.
- have a viable administrative structure.
- be governed by a Board of Directors or other body responsible for the organization.
- have stable artistic, organizational and board leadership with plans in place for any transition.
- have sound financial management and balanced budgets over time.
- submit verification of financial results of the last completed fiscal year:
- for requests over $15,000, audited financial statements are required;
- for requests of $15,000 or less, if annual operating revenues are $100,000 or more, a review engagement is required (or, if available, audited financial statements);
- for requests of $15,000 or less, if annual operating revenues are under $100,000, unaudited financial statements that include a balance sheet and a statement of income and expenses is required (or, if available, audited financial statements or a review engagement);
- receive significant support on an annual basis from other levels of government and/or the public and/or the private sector.
First-time applicants to the Multi-Year Operating program (i.e. organizations that did not receive multi-year funding last year) must consult with Dance Officer Catalina Fellay-Dunbar prior to completing an application form to ensure that they are eligible to apply.
Organizations may receive only one grant per calendar year through TAC. Organizations that receive Multi-Year Operating funding through this program are, therefore, not eligible to apply for TAC project grants in any discipline.
1 TAC recognizes that due to systemic barriers within the broader arts community (e.g. limited mainstream presentation opportunities for artists from equity-seeking communities) that some flexibility may be required in interpreting eligibility criteria to take into account equivalent professional experience and contexts. Potential applicants from equity-seeking communities are encouraged to discuss their eligibility with the program officer in advance of submitting an application.
return to Dance programming