Visual Artists Program
Application deadline: September 14, 2017
For questions about this program, contact Peter Kingstone, Visual/Media Arts Officer
The Visual Artists Program provides support to visual artists who have a professional independent art practice for the creation/production of new work or the completion of works in progress.
Funds are intended to cover direct costs of creation/production, subsistence and materials. Visual Arts includes drawing, painting, sculpture, photography, mixed media, printmaking, bookworks, performance art, installation and fine crafts.
The program provides two levels of support to artists at varying points in their career:
LEVEL ONE: $5,000 – for emerging artists in the early stages of their professional career, who have produced a small body of work, and achieved some local recognition and/or have limited public exhibition experience. Generally, they have had between 2 and 7 years of professional arts practice.
LEVEL TWO: $10,000 – for mid-career and established artists.
Mid-career artists are past the early stages of their careers, have produced a reasonable body of work and have received recognition outside the local community. Generally, they have had between 8 and 14 years of professional arts practice.
Established artists have produced an extensive body of work and have achieved national or international recognition. Generally, they have had at least 15 years of professional arts practice.
GENERAL ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS
Applicants must be professional artists and meet the following criteria:
- Applicants must be Canadian Citizens or Permanent Residents (Landed Immigrants) or have an application pending for Permanent Resident status and, if requested, be able to provide documentation to verify this.
- Applicants must currently maintain a residence in the City of Toronto and must have done so for at least one year prior to the application deadline.
- Applicants must live/work in Toronto for at least 8 months of the year.
- Applicants must have completed basic training (not necessarily in a formal educational institution.)
- Applicants must have spent a minimum of one year working on and developing an independent art practice after completing full-time studies.
- Full-time undergraduate students are not eligible.
- Applicants must retain full copyright, financial and creative control.
- Applicants may receive funding through TAC’s Visual Artists or Media Artists Programs only once every two years.
return to Visual/Media Arts programming