Visual Artists Program
Application deadline: Ongoing between January 2 to November 15, 2018
(no applications accepted after November 15)
For questions about this program, contact Peter Kingstone, Visual/Media Arts Officer
DESCRIPTION OF PROGRAM
Toronto Arts Council’s Visual Artists program provides support to visual artists who have a professional independent art practice for the creation/production of new work or the completion of works in progress. Funds are intended to cover direct costs of creation/production, subsistence and materials. Visual Arts includes drawing, painting, sculpture, photography, mixed media, printmaking, bookworks, performance art, installation and fine crafts.
***NEW IN 2018*** APPLICATION DEADLINE
There is no single application deadline in 2018. You may submit an application anytime between January 2 and November 15, 2018. You may submit only one application during this period. You will be notified with the application results approximately 3 months after the submission date.
LEVEL ONE: $5,000 – for emerging artists in the early stages of their professional career who have produced a small body of work and achieved some local recognition and/or have limited public exhibition experience. Generally, they have had between 2 and 7 years of professional arts practice.
LEVEL TWO: $10,000 – for mid-career and established artists.
Mid-career artists are past the early stages of their careers, have produced a reasonable body of work and have received recognition outside the local community. Generally, they have had between 8 and 14 years of professional arts practice.
Established artists have produced an extensive body of work and have achieved national or international recognition. Generally they have had at least 15 years of professional arts practice.
***NEW IN 2018*** Projects involving Deaf artists and artists with disabilities may apply for an additional TAC grant by completing the Accessibility Expenses section of the application. A TAC Accessibility grant will provide up to a maximum of $5,000 towards accessibility costs incurred during the project for artists involved with the project. Accessibility costs include but are not limited to: ASL interpretation, communications assistants, and attendant care.
Applicants must be professional artists and meet the following criteria:
- Applicants must be Canadian Citizens or Permanent Residents or have an application pending for Permanent Resident status and, if requested, be able to provide documentation to verify this.
- Applicants must be residents of the City of Toronto for at least one year prior to the application deadline. Temporary absences of up to 12 months may be considered, subject to written explanation and special permission; please contact the Grants Officer. Neither a Post Office Box address nor a studio address can be used to meet the residency requirement.
- Applicants must have completed basic training (not necessarily in a formal educational institution).
- Applicants must have spent a minimum of one year working on and developing an independent art practice after completing full-time studies.
- Undergraduate students are not eligible.
- Professional artists pursuing graduate studies may not apply for work related to their program of study. A letter from the graduate program director specifying that the project is not related to the graduate student’s program of studies must be submitted with the application.
- TAC recognizes that due to systemic barriers within the broader arts community (e.g. limited mainstream presentation opportunities for artists from equity-seeking communities) that some flexibility may be required in interpreting eligibility criteria to take into account equivalent professional experience and contexts. Potential applicants from equity-seeking communities are encouraged to discuss their eligibility with the program officer in advance of submitting an application.
- Applicants must retain full copyright, financial and creative control.
- Applicants to TAC’s 2018 Visual Artists Program may not apply to TAC’s 2018 Media Artists Program.
- Applicants may receive funding through TAC’s Visual Artists or Media Artists Programs only once every two years. Those who received funding from either program in 2017 are not eligible to apply to either program in 2018 but may reapply in 2019.
- Collaborative proposals are eligible. Co-applicants are subject to the same eligibility criteria as primary applicants. If the application is successful, the grant cheque will be payable to the principal applicant, as listed in the application. Similarly, a T4A slip will be issued to the principal applicant.
The following are not eligible:
- Projects that have been completed prior to the announcement of results. Toronto Arts Council does not fund retroactively.
- Project funding solely for the purpose of travel or exhibition of work, including the cost of framing.
- Capital purchases, such as tools, equipment, etc.
- Commissioned, instructional or promotional projects.
return to Visual/Media Arts programming